About Taroom Shire Landcare
Over the years Taroom Shire Landcare has participated in a number of research projects and gathered information on a number of natural resource management issues. This general information has been collated and summarised throughout this site. Please contact the office if you would like further information, or a copy of the full reports.
2012 Committee Board Members
Chairman - Terry Waters
Vice Chairman - Ross Shannon
Financial Controller - Roxane Blackley
Secretary - Andrea Beard
Member - Malcolm Monk
Member - Sam Jerrard
Member - Cameron Hansen
*A positon is still vacant for a Wandoan member please contact us if interested.
What we are all about
the Taroom Shire Landcare Group operates on the basis that every rate payer should be able to access our services. Our monthly newsletter has a distribution of around 1200 households in the old Taroom Shire, with a number of copies distributed over an expanding email network. As a result we service a relatively large area (18650 square kilometers) and it's not unusual for our staff to travel 2-3 hours to visit members. The Shire falls within the Southern Queensland government departmental region and the Rockhampton based Fitzroy River Basin. Since Queensland council amalgamations we are now included in the Western downs Regional council and Banana Shire council areas.
The committee consists of 8 representatives from Taroom and Wandoan (Division 1 & 2 respectively) districts. A council representative from each division and a representative from a relevant Government department make up the total of 11 or 12 that sit on our committee. The first committee was elected in 1989 has has met monthly since then to deliver a range of service to members, including:
- Property Management Planning
- Sub-catchment Action Group activities
- parthenium and other weed control activities
- Sustainability of Production Systems
- Soils and water monitoring
- Tree planting and planning
Many of these projects have been implemented with the support of other community, government and industry organisations.
Equipment for Loan:
All of our equipment is available for use by members. It ranges in quality from DIY cardboard to laboratory quality equipment
As some of it is quite expensive and specialised we provide technical advice or assistance from our staff.
Contact Roxane at the Landcare office on 07) 4627 4481 for further information.
- Limited lab support for selected water quality and soil monitoring. (EAL lab, SFI lab and SWEP)·
- SmartII Colorimeter (Reams/Albrecht method soil nutrient analysis kits). Samples completed at replacement costs (around $5.00 per parameter)
- Hydraulic soil core machine (small size, not suitable for bulk density, max depth of 1.5m)·
- Tubes for manual collection of core samples.· Access to drying ovens·
- 35mm Camera for pasture monitoring.
- Munsell colour chart·
- GPS unit (+ 5m)·
- Light microscopes (Olympus CX21 & BO61)·
- Tape measures (50m, 100m, 5m)
Monitoring / soil health Equipment
as kits with instructions and recording sheets.
- Brix + sap extractors
- Soil temperature probe
- Plant and surface infrared temperature meter
- No3 and K twin cardy
- pH (field and lab, suited to R or 1:5)
- EC (field and lab)
- Strength probe (measures psi)
- Dissolved Oxygen
- Australian Soil Classification key (+ CD)·
- ArcMap with Spatial, 3D and Geostatistical Analyst extensions·
PO Box 255
Hours: Last Thursday of the Month.